What Doctor To See For Menopause Concerns

Many women have no idea whats happening to their body when menopause starts. They may think they are having some other problem altogether. Many women go to their primary care physician when symptoms begin to rule out other serious conditions.

There is a disparity of expert opinion concerning whether women should be treated by a general physician or a gynecologist for menopause. You may also have your own opinion. Although it is best to see someone you trust for treatment, you may find that you would rather see a specialist for menopause. If you are still up in the air on which one to choose, here are some details on each option.

General Physician

If you have a good relationship with your family/general physician you may want to have him or her to treat you for menopause. A family practitioner will know enough about menopause and possible treatments to offer adequate treatment. They will be able to offer you traditional treatment like hormone replacement therapy and will likely be most familiar with your family history and current prescriptions.

Medical insurance will likely pay for any visits, excluding your co-payments and other deductibles. Sometimes general physicians may refer you to a specialist for your menopause treatment. Usually, the specialist they will suggest is a gynecologist. You may already see a gynecologist for your annual exams, so you may have one in mind. Some women see their general practitioner for annual exams however in which case you will need to find a gynecologist you want to see for menopause treatment.


A gynecologist is someone who may know a little more about menopause. In fact, this type of doctor works with these issues everyday and is constantly surrounded by topics that pertain to females alone. Therefore, they naturally will be more familiar with what issues women are concerned about and what the options are for treatment of menopause. They will be more likely to also suggest alternative treatments if you are interested in them.

A gynecologist will likely be able to perform hormone tests in order to fully evaluate your situation. Your insurance may or may not pay for visits to this type of specialist; you need to check on that before you schedule your appointment. A call to the number on the back of your insurance card should be sufficient.

Although your friends may offer their opinion on the matter, who you seek treatment from for menopause is ultimately up to you.

You need to see someone whom you trust on the issue of menopause. If that is your regular doctor, then see them for menopause treatment.

If you would rather see someone who specializing in female medicine, ask your regular physician for a referral to a specialist. No matter whom you choose, it is likely they will be well qualified to treat you to your satisfaction.