Prostatic Hyperplasia and Prostate Cancer

As you age as a man, you may have to face certain conditions of the male reproductive system. Nodular prostatic hyperplasia is one of them. Many times men hear about nodular prostatic hyperplasia as being called BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). It is quite common in men over the age of 50. Probably ¼ of the male population, over the age of 50, have some degree of prostatic hyperplasia.

By the time a man has reached the age of 80, he has only a 10% chance of not having some form of hyperplasia, meaning that 90% of the men over 80 have it. Of course, the interesting thing about prostatic hyperplasia is that it often does not present any bothersome symptoms and usually doesn’t require surgery or medication of any kind.

Growth Trigger

African American Men and Prostate Cancer

Scientists really have no clear explanation of this phenomenon, but studies show that prostrate cancer is more common in African-Americans than with any other race. According to the study conducted by the American Cancer Society, African-Americans are twice more likely to die of prostate cancer than white men.

The same study pointed out that where prostate cancer rates is high in countries located in North America and the Northwestern Europe, it is less common in Asia Africa, Central and South America. Asian men are the least likely to be affected of prostate cancer, although this does not mean that they don’t really get the disease at all.

Diet a Factor?

Diet and Prostate Cancer

Diet is one of the most important components of a person’s health, if not the most important. Just about any physical ailment can be traced directly or indirectly to what someone does or does not eat. People who are not adequately nourished are not only more susceptible to diseases such as prostate cancer; they are also more likely to succumb under its effects.

People who eat well, as a rule, stand a much better chance of resisting diseases. They will also recover faster than those who do not follow a balanced, nutritionally optimal diet.

Side Effects of Orchietomy in Prostate Cancer

Hormone therapy is one of the most widely used prostate cancer treatments. Compared to other forms of treatment, hormone therapy is less invasive and less expensive. The goal of hormone therapy is to suppress the male hormones, which feeds the prostate cancer cells. Note that prostate cancer is directly connected with the male hormone and the male reproductive organ. As it is, the cancer cells thrive on the male hormones.

One of the best ways to fight prostate cancer is to undergo orchietomy. Orchietomy is a surgical procedure to remove testicles, which is the main source of male hormones. Prostate cancer is directly related to the male hormones and suppressing the male hormone will retard the cancer. Although the procedure is relatively simple, inexpensive and often times effective, this is permanent. Around 90% of men who are treated with hormone therapy reported reduced sexual desire and impotence.

Prostate Cancer Support

If you have recently learned you have prostate cancer you know that your life will be completely turned around. Your life and the lives of your family will change and these changes may be hard for you and your family and friends to handle. You will have many different feelings, as your family will. You will have feelings of fright; financial concerns and sometimes these feelings can be confusing.

For Both Patients and Their Families

There may be huge concerns about how you will care for your family, what will happen to your job, and if you will be able to continue your daily routine. There will be worries about testing and treatment procedures, the cost of hospital stays and other medical bills, and possible side effects.

The Stages of Prostate Cancer

A biopsy is needed to confirm that prostate cancer is present in your body. After the diagnosis is confirmed, it is classified into grades. All of this grading, staging, and PSA level can be confusing. We will try to help you make sense of the information you are being bombarded with.

First, PSA is a substance made in the prostate gland. The PSA level is usually low unless the patient has a higher count. A higher PSA level often signals a problem with the prostate and possibly cancer.

Gleason Scale

Cancers are graded which is a mark of the differences between the cancer cells and the normal cells. These cells are inspected through a microscope and graded on a “Gleason” grade.

The Gleason grading system uses a range from 1 to 5. If your cancer is graded as 1, it means the cancer cells that are clustered together look like normal prostate tissue.

Mammograms vs. MRIs for Breast Cancer Screening

MRIs for Breast Cancer ScreeningBreast cancer is a disease that is all-too prevalent in our society. It is a disease the kills thousands every year, and numerous cases are diagnosed every day.

Early detection of breast cancer is key to helping treat the disease; the longer that it is present, the greater the risk that it will be incurable. To that end, it is of the utmost importance that women regularly get screened for the possibility of breast cancer. That brings forth a debate, however; should mammograms or Magnetic Resonance Imaging be used to weigh a woman’s risk?

Increased Risk from X-rays

New studies have shown that a woman’s risk for developing breast cancer may be increased due to mammograms. X-rays are used in a mammogram, and radiation that is used in the process may be responsible for the gene mutations BRCA1 and BRCA2.

Gerson Therapy for Skin Cancer

When a person is diagnosed with skin cancer they will face very few possible treatment plans from their health care provider. The initial treatment will consist of the surgical removal of the tumor. The next step will depend on whether the tumor is a melanoma or not.

Then the alternatives will be between radiation therapy and chemotherapy. But what of the many other alternatives out there that are not offered to skin cancer patients. Are there some that should be considered? The Gerson Therapy is one very well known treatment plan.

Immune System Based

The Gerson therapy plan goes by the philosophy that the immune system needs to be boosted to help the patient’s body fight off the skin cancer, or any other cancer. This therapy can be done at home by the patient on his or her own with materials gleaned from the Internet on the right way to practices this therapy.