Bee Sting Allergy

Allergic reactions from stinging insects are on the rise. The number of people that suffer from a bee sting allergy has risen dramatically in the past few years. The number of hospital visits and even deaths from wasp, hornet, and bee stings is alarming.

A bee sting results when part of the stinger of the bee [or wasp] delivers poison to the skin area it pierces. This can be on a human or another animal. Although most of us do not suffer a bee sting allergy some people do.

What Are The Symptoms Of A Bee Sting?

There can be a lot different symptoms but the most common is that sharp pinch pain or a burning feeling in the area where the bee stung. Some people hardly notice it while others have enough pain to see them head to the hospital.

The burning and pain is a result of the venom in the bee sting. Others develop symptoms such as a rash or difficulty breathing. A bee allergy can be mild to life threatening.

Some other symptoms of a bee stung allergy can cause drastic swelling and redness in the area, swollen lips and eyes, wheezing, hoarseness, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and lightheadedness. There are treatments for mild cases but severe cases where you have trouble with breathing need to be seen at the hospital ER.

Bees Sting Treatments

You can use many different treatments when you are stung by a bee depending if there is a bee sting allergy. Assuming there is no allergy a pain reliever such as acetaminophen, which is Tylenol, helps.

There are also different products on the market that you can apply directly to the bite, which reduce the pain and itching of the bee venom. An ice pack or cold water placed on the bite for 10 to 15 minutes after the sting will also help reduce the swelling and redness.

If you have a bee sting allergy, your doctor may prescribe an EpiPen. This auto injector shot administers epinephrine into your blood stream. It is an emergency treatment for sever allergic reaction which can cause anaphylactic shock which can be fatal within just minutes. You should carry the EpiPen with you at all times.

Avoiding Those Little Pests

Whether you have a bee sting allergy or not no one wants to be bitten by the pesky little creatures. Its important that you do not start swinging violently trying to kill it because all you do is excite it.

Instead grab your fly swatter or roll up a newspaper and calmly smack it down. Never pick up a dead bee or wasp right after it is killed because the stinger can still move so you could get stung. Wait at least an hour.

If you have a bee sting allergy avoiding a beehive or wasp hive is important, because if spooked they could swarm you and put your life in danger. Even with no bee sting allergy, you can still be seriously stung. You can safely remove the hives with the help of an exterminator or on your own but unless you know what you are doing you should get professional help.

A bee sting allergy can be mild to life threatening. If you have a bee sting allergy take it seriously because a mild allergy can suddenly take a turn for the worst so you should always be prepared.

Like This Article? Sciencebeta has a free 3 times weekly digest of the most interesting and intriguing articles in psychology, neuroscience, neurology, and cognitive sciences. Want to give it a try? Subscribe right here