Here is a look at some of the most effective yoga poses for weight loss. These tend to raise metabolism and the specific breathing patterns make them an aerobic workout that fills the body with oxygen.
These also improve overall circulation that allows the body to effectively utilize glucose and fats for energy instead of storing it as fat.
They are also effective for toning the major muscle groups in the body, which, further increases metabolism for more efficient weight loss.
1. The Crescent
This is a standing yoga pose, also known as Indudalasana.
– Begin by standing with your feet together and arms resting at your side.
– Breathe deeply as you raise your arms over your head in a straight manner.
– Bend your knees forward while slowly exhaling and lower your hands to the floor.
– Inhale and exhale deeply as you get into a lunge position and pick your arms up overhead.
2. The Chair Pose
This asana increases strength, balance and stability. The hamstrings, quadriceps, gluteal muscles, and the erector spinae muscles of the back are exercised and strengthened.
– Stand with feet together, toes forward and arms at both sides.
– Take a deep breath and raise your arms over your head with palms facing each other.
– Exhale and sit back to a 45 degree angle, while keeping the knees behind the toes.
– Use your abs to support the back.
– Look straight ahead.
3. The Willow
– Begin with your feet together and arms resting at your sides.
– Slowly lift the right leg and places the sole of your right foot against the inner left thigh, make sure that your knees are turned to the side.
– Place your arms in front of your chest with your palms facing each other.
– Reach up to the ceiling with your arms while bending your torso slightly to the right.
– Do the same on the other side.
4. The Locust Pose
This is a back bend, or spine stretch asana, using the strength of the upper and middle back to lift the weight of the legs as high as possible from a starting position face down on the floor. It improves flexibility and coordination and increases strength and stamina.
Caution: Beginners may find that their shoulder and elbow flexibility is not sufficient to allow them to get the hands palm down right underneath the body.
– Lay down on your stomach with arms at your side.
– Lift the head, arms, legs and body off the floor so that only your stomach is making contact with the mat.
– Hold the position until the muscles begin to contract.
– Hold for 30 seconds, then release and repeat 3 to 5 times.
5. The Bow Pose
This one is like the locust, but, it is more difficult because the arms reach for the legs.
– Do the locust pose.
– Bend the knees up and grab your ankles with your arms.
– Do not strain the muscles, make relaxed movements.
– Hold for 30 seconds, then release and repeat 3 times.
Yoga is definitely worth consideration in your quest to lose weight, and it also provides a host of additional benefits for your mind, body and soul.
Top Photo by Blanca